JMG No: 1092452
Part No: 6200EF
Availability: Within 26 days
Model 6200 is a microprocessor controlled, isoperibol oxygen bomb calorimeter which is widely used for both routine and occasional calorific tests. It uses the time-tested Parr 1108 oxygen bomb and oval bucket in a compact calorimeter, producing reliable results with good repeatability, but differing from the 1271 and 6300 Models in that the bomb and bucket both must be removed from the calorimeter and refilled manually for each test, thereby requiring more of the operator's time than the automatic and semi-automatic models.
All sensors, controls and jacketing in the 6200 Calorimeter are built into a single, compact cabinet to provide a self-contained operating unit consisting of:
• A temperature-controlled water jacket with a built-in circulating system and an electric heater.
• An 1108 oxygen bomb with an oval bucket which fits into the insulating water jacket.
• A built-in semi-automatic system for charging the bomb with oxygen.
• A high precision electronic thermometer.
• A bright, color, touch screen display for data entry and operation control.
• Special communication ports for printer, computer and network (LAN) connections.
• Removable compact flash memory card slot for simple program updates and test report archiving.
Precise Electronic Thermometry
Temperatures are measured with a high precision electronic thermometer using a specially designed thermistor sensor sealed in a stainless steel probe which is fixed in the calorimeter cover. Measurements are taken with 0.0001° resolution over a 20° to 40°C working range, with all readings shown in Celsius.
Effective Thermal Jacketing
Outstanding thermal jacketing is provided by a circulating water system driven by a built-in, high capacity pump which maintains a continuous forced flow around the sides and bottom of the bucket chamber and through the cover as well. The jacket temperature is held constant for isoperibol operation and no water additions or waiting periods are required at the end of a run. A sealed immersion heater and a built-in heat exchanger, both operated by the calorimeter controller, provide precise jacket temperature control.
A Reliable Oxygen Bomb
The Parr 1108 Oxygen Bomb furnished with the calorimeter will safely burn samples liberating up to 8000 calories per charge, using oxygen charging pressures up to 40 atm. An alternate 1108CL bomb with superior resistance to chlorine and halogen acids is recommended for tests involving waste material and chlorinated samples.
A Built-In Oxygen Filling System
To speed and simplify the bomb filling operation, the 6200 Calorimeter has a semi-automatic system for charging the bomb with oxygen. Oxygen from a 1A commercial cylinder is connected to a microprocessor controlled solenoid installed in the calorimeter. To fill the bomb, the operator simply slips the filling hose connector onto the bomb inlet valve and pushes the touch screen to start the filling sequence. Filling then proceeds automatically at a controlled rate to a pre-set pressure. Built- in safety provisions will prevent an accidental overcharge.
The 6200 Calorimeter will automatically generate its energy equivalent (EE) value from a series of standardisation tests, calculating a mean value from either (a) all standardisation tests, or (b) from the last 10 operator designated tests for each bomb/bucket combination. The user can enter the maximum standard deviation he will accept and the calorimeter will advise him if his tests fail to meet this criteria. Energy equivalent values for up to four bomb/bucket combinations can be stored in the computer.
Many User Options
Although specific procedures are recommended, various options are available to the user:
• Program parameters can be adjusted to accommodate unusual sample sizes and precision requirements.
• The calorimeter can be programmed to accommodate any titrant concentrations selected by the user.
• Calorific values can be reported in any of several measurement units.
• The calorimeter program can be adjusted to compensate for the subtle differences in the way acid correction values are handled in ASTM, BS, DIN and ISO methods.
• Program controls can be protected from inadvertent changes.
• A bomb usage tally can be maintained to notify the user when each bomb should be serviced.
Multiple Language Options
Parr Model 6200 can be set to provide the programming options, operating menus, reports and error messages in the following choice of languages: English, French, and German.
Automatic Data Transfer
The calorimeter is equipped with RS232C communication ports for reporting to a printer and receiving sample weights from an analytical balance. Transferring results to a laboratory computer is accomplished using an Ethernet connection using standard network protocols.
Compatible Modular Design
The 6200 Calorimeter is fully compatible with existing 1108 Parr Bombs and closed-circuit water handling systems making it easy to fit the instrument into an existing laboratory set-up. A modular design, with the controller electronics assembled in a removable chassis, simplifies maintenance.
<>Click the picture for a closer look
The 6200 Calorimeter has been designed to provide the user with:
• A traditional design calorimeter with removable oxygen bomb and bucket.
• A high speed calorimeter capable of performing up to 9 tests per hour when equipped with two bombs and two buckets.
• A high precision calorimeter capable of exceeding the repeatability and reproducibility requirements of all international standard test methods.
• A full featured calorimeter capable of operating on either an open or closed loop basis.
• A compact calorimeter requiring minimum laboratory bench space.
• A modern intuitive graphical user interface for ease of operation and training.
• A calorimeter with up to date digital hardware, software and communications capabilities.
• A calorimeter that is cost effective and which can incorporate a user's current bombs, buckets, and accessories.
The Model 6200 calorimeter utilises the Parr 1108 oxygen bomb. More than 20000 of these reliable oxygen combustion bombs have been placed in service on a world wide basis. This bomb features an automatic inlet check valve and an adjustable needle valve for controlled release of residual gasses following combustion. They are intended for samples ranging from 0.6 to 1.2 grams with a maximum energy release of 8000 calories per charge.
The 1108 oxygen bomb is made of a high-strength, highnickel stainless steel designed to resist the corrosive acids produced in routine fuel testing. An alternative 1108CL bomb is available, constructed of an alloy containing added cobalt and molybdenum to resist the corrosive conditions produced when burning samples containing chlorinated compounds.
The A391DD removable bucket has been designed to hold the bomb, stirrer and thermistor with a minimum volume of water and to provide an effective circulating system which will bring the calorimeter to rapid thermal equilibrium both before and after firing.
Dual Bomb and Bucket Operation
Users with large testing requirements can equip their 6200 calorimeters with two bombs and two buckets so that one set can be reloaded while the current test is underway in the calorimeter.
True Isoperibol Operation
As with the Model 6300 calorimeter, all of the surfaces which surround the inner chamber of the 6200 calorimeter are controlled to a constant temperature from a circulating water bath. This enables the control section of the calorimeter to both determine the heat leak corrections and apply them in real time. This combination makes it possible to operate the calorimeter in Parr's dynamic mode for rapid testing without a detectable difference in the precision of the test.
Open or Closed Loop Operation
The 6200 calorimeter can be operated on an open system where tap water is used both to cool the jacket and to fill the bucket. This minimises the need for a separate water handling system and cooler and will also minimise the capital investment. Users with significant testing loads or poor quality tap water will want to add a Model 1564 or 6520 Water Handling System and operate with deionised, temperature controlled, and pre-measured water.
Oxygen Filling System
To speed and simplify the bomb filling connection, the 6200 Calorimeter has a Semiautomatic system for charging the bomb with oxygen. Oxygen from a 1A commercial cylinder is connected to a micro-processor controlled solenoid installed in the calorimeter.
To fill the bomb, the operator simply slips the filling hose connector onto the bomb inlet valve and pushes a key to start the filling sequence. Filling then proceeds automatically at a controlled rate to a pre-set pressure. Built-in safety provisions will prevent an accidental overcharge, and an error message will be shown if the desired pressure is not attained.
The 6200 calorimeter is housed in a compact case 22.5 inches wide, 15.5 inches deep and 17.0 inches high (57cm×40cm×43cm).
The units require a 115 or 230 volt electrical supply, tap water and a drain (or a water recirculationg system) and a supply of oxygen.